Thursday, October 1, 2009

Finally in Mozambique


After a solid day of traveling, we have finally made it to Mozambique. We are staying the first three days in a hotel here in the capital, Maputo. The hotel that they are putting us up in is amazing. I feel like they are trying to butter us up a bit before showing us the true conditions of Mozambique.



Everyone in my group is amazing. I feel so lucky to be surrounded by people who I can learn from and have great conversations with. On Sunday, we check out of the hotel and head to Namaacha for 10 weeks of pre-service training. The training consists of TONS of language training as well as learning about the history and culture of Mozambique, teaching strategies, and ways to stay safe. It was pretty cold today, which forced me to wear pants and a sweater. I've been told Namaacha is at a higher elevation and tends to get even colder.




It hasn't hit me yet that I'm in Africa. I'm pretty sure that'll change as soon as we leave this hotel. But until Sunday, I'm going to enjoy my single room (I must have won some sort of lottery), warm shower, swimming pool, bed, pillow, and internet service.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, having a single room is the cheese! Enjoy it and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it love it love it!!! they really are spoiling you with the nice hotel :) gotta break you in slowly!! keep writing lover because i sign on here everyday like a loser :) haha.. i miss you already and it's only been a day or two!!! the area looks pretty well established. I definitely wasn't expecting that. Is maputo a "touristy" spot? keep on rocking the showers and warm bed.. lol..

    <3 me

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, how is the food? have you had a chance to have authentic? Loving your posts! Keep them rockn girlie!!

    Shout out to Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing authentic yet...this hotel is super swanky. This is NOTHING like our sites are going to be. The plugs here aren't even the same as the rest of Mozambique, they are South African plugs. It is assumed that Mozambicans can't afford this hotel so why use their plugs? The food is superb. I'm about to get my last lunch before heading out and plan to eat pretty much until I burst. I miss you all =)

    ReplyDelete