Sunday, October 24, 2010

Happy Halloween!!!!

At least once a day, Peace Corps Volunteers lament how glorious American food (used loosely) is. Pretty much anything can bring it up: watching a movie and seeing a Taco Bell in the background, attempting to make favorite foods from home, talking about the weather, etc. It’s crazy. My point from this is that we talk about some pretty ridiculous things, and by ridiculous, I mean ridiculously boring. This is important because a couple of days ago, I found myself talking to Megan, my sitemate, about something completely absurd. It was so silly it deserves a blog.

So deodorant here is precious. The only d.o. you can come by is that roll on stuff that has an insane scent and doesn’t work. You can buy sticks of deodorant at Shoprite, but it is super expensive and way far away. Anyway, I’ve made it a point to have my mom send me a stick anytime I find myself about ¾ way through mine. I still get paranoid that I will run out of deodorant before that lifesaver of a package gets here. So, I’ve just started extending the lifetime of my sticks. You know when you get to the bottom of a stick and you start rubbing that plastic thing on your pit? That’s when I know I have about one more month left of deodorant. I pop that plastic thing out, use a pen to push each section of d.o. out and rub some on each morning. It has definitely led to some funny looks from Esther. A couple of days ago, Megan was over and, for some reason, I felt compelled to tell her about my new method of conserving deodorant. Where anyone else would look at me like a crazy person, she just nodded her head and gave me the most sincere “nice.”

Enough about that. Life’s great out here! This week is the last week of school and doesn’t involve giving any real lessons. I’m headed to Savane (rumored to be one of the prettiest beaches in Moz) on Thursday with some friends to celebrate the world’s best holiday!!! Should be a blast. Then, I’m going to return home for a couple of weeks before setting out on about two months of travelling! Soooooo exciting. Some things I’ll be doing: returning to Namaacha for training, Maputo, Ilha de Moz, Massinga, Cape Town, Kruger, more Maputo, more S.Africa, and the southern coast of Moz before heading home.

Miss you all. Hope you guys are celebrating Halloween in a way that would make me proud!!!!

<3 Von

2 comments:

  1. oh vonnie. you are something else. i miss you so much! love you. keep writing. happy early birthday and happy halloween!!

    love always,
    reyni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vonnie, I hope you're doing well, and not being too stinky for those people out there. I miss your laugh, so I hope that you're keeping it up out there! It sounds like you're having a great time. They are so lucky to have you!! Matt comes back today. I can't wait to catch up with him. Love you! Take care!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete